- (08/08) Making CURL SSL Work on Localhost PHP Development in WindowsTAGS:Web ProgrammingWeb Server AdminWindowsPhpUsageSetup
- (07/25) Controlling jQuery's TooltipTAGS:JqueryTutorialWeb Programming
- (07/18) Taking A Step Ahead With jQueryTAGS:JqueryHackCssExample
- (07/17) LinkedIn PHP Api - Fixing 401 Unknown Authentication Scheme ErrorTAGS:ErrorsPhpUsageWeb Programming
- (06/25) Debugging 500 errorsTAGS:ApacheErrorsWeb Server Admin
- (06/25) Apache Configuration ErrorTAGS:ApacheErrorsWeb Server Admin
- (06/11) Facebook changes to Autoposting AppsTAGS:Web Programming
Subscribe to my feed
Using Git and Plink for SSH on Windows
Posted on 01/25/2010 at 11:11 am by Kevin Wentworth
Viewed 17,183 times | 0 comments
Well, I finally had an opportunity to install Git on Windows yet again. It had been quite a while since my last time installing Git on Windows, so I was a little rusty and couldn't figure out how to get Git to use Plink for SSH. It's actually quite simple and dependent on a Windows system variable.
Getting Git to use Plink for SSH on Windows
You need to create a system variable in Windows for GIT_SSH:
- Go to System Properties > Advanced Settings
- Click the button for Environment Variables
- Click 'New' to add a new system variable
- Under variable name, call it 'GIT_SSH'
- Under variable value, put in the path to your Plink executable: 'C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe'
- Click all the OKs until you are out of System Properties
- Git should now use Plink for SSH and not the built in ssh functionality
Setting up Putty, Plink and Pageant for Git on Windows
This post doesn't describe how to get Putty, Plink and Pageant working with Git on Windows, but I did come across an excellent Git tutorial (scroll to the bottom). It's probably the best tutorial for a non-techie that wants to install git on windows. It's actually illustrated!
5 Related Articles
- Free iPod to iTunes Music Transfer on Windows - iBackuper (02/23/13)
- Using KDiff3 as Git GUI Merge Tool on Windows XP and Windows 7 (09/23/10)
- Export to PDF from Microsoft Publisher (03/05/10)
- Weird Git Error After Upgrade: Repository not found. Make sure you include the .git (02/02/10)
- 12 Essential Photoshop Keyboard Shortcuts (12/21/09)