- (06/12) View Layer - Getting count of Entities in View in Cakephp 3TAGS:CakephpCake3
- (05/23) Changing URL in beforeRedirect() in Component - Cakephp 3TAGS:CakephpCake3Web Programming
- (01/28) Foundation CSS Framework ResourcesTAGS:FoundationCss
- (01/27) Change View File from Controller in CakePHP 3TAGS:CakephpCake3UsageWeb Programming
- (01/13) Loading Model/Table Anywhere in Cake3TAGS:Cake3Cakephp
- (10/06) CURL PHP 5.5 Issue on Windows (Using Twilio SDK)
- (02/26) Command line: Start, Stop and Restart MySQL Server on Mac OS XTAGS:Quick TipWeb Server Admin
Subscribe to my feed
Using Git and Plink for SSH on Windows
Posted on 01/25/2010 at 11:11 am by Kevin Wentworth
Viewed 24,183 times | 0 comments
Well, I finally had an opportunity to install Git on Windows yet again. It had been quite a while since my last time installing Git on Windows, so I was a little rusty and couldn't figure out how to get Git to use Plink for SSH. It's actually quite simple and dependent on a Windows system variable.
Getting Git to use Plink for SSH on Windows
You need to create a system variable in Windows for GIT_SSH:
- Go to System Properties > Advanced Settings
- Click the button for Environment Variables
- Click 'New' to add a new system variable
- Under variable name, call it 'GIT_SSH'
- Under variable value, put in the path to your Plink executable: 'C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe'
- Click all the OKs until you are out of System Properties
- Git should now use Plink for SSH and not the built in ssh functionality
Setting up Putty, Plink and Pageant for Git on Windows
This post doesn't describe how to get Putty, Plink and Pageant working with Git on Windows, but I did come across an excellent Git tutorial (scroll to the bottom). It's probably the best tutorial for a non-techie that wants to install git on windows. It's actually illustrated!